Planning a Move this Winter? Tips on How to Successfully DownsizeSynergy Mortgage
Whether you’re moving from a a big family home to a Yaletown condo or moving in with a partner, downsizing is necessary. Moving from a large home full of your stuff to a small space can be challenging, and while it’s easy to say “just eliminate the extra stuff,” doing it is not so easy. Here are some tips to make the transition as smooth as possible.
1. Be Prepared!
Make a plan:
- create a timeline
- keep an ongoing to-do list
- collect information pertaining to your move (movers, packers, etc)
- know the space you are moving into – get a floorplan!
TIP: Count your cupboards and drawers in your new space.
TIP: Look at your new wall space for artwork, family photos.
2. Prep your home for sale –DECLUTTER TIME!
- go through house one room at a time
- SORT! – separate what to keep, sell, donate, recycle, trash
TIP: Organize a family get together – this is a good way to give your special things to people that you love. Also, people can choose what other items they might want to take with them before it’s gone.
TIP: Keep only your favourite piece from a collection, discard duplicates
TIP: When giving away an item, write the history of the item and why it is special to you and attach it to the item before giving it to the new owner. This makes it easier to let go!
TIP: You pay by weight for anything that is sent to the dump, so be sure to recycle as much as possible (paper, plastic, metal, glass, electronics)
3. Packing and Moving
- get proper packing supplies (boxes, tape, bubble wrap etc)
- consult with at least 2 moving companies; find out price, number of available movers, insurance, truck size, estimated move time and availability
- label boxes properly; mark down room and contents clearly as you will not remember after you pack.
4. Setting up your new home
- remember to put up proper shelving, install racks and hooks to maximize storage space (if building manager approves)
- Call Next Step Organizers to assist with any or all of your organizing needs.
SOME LOCAL CHARITIES THAT ACCEPT DONATIONS OF CLOTHING/HOUSEHOLD GOODS:
- Big Brothers – 604.526.2447 /firstname.lastname@example.org
- Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre – drop-off your donations at: 302 Columbia St, Vancouver
- Developmental Disability Association – find a drop-off bin near you, or arrange for home pick-up
- Salvation Army Thrift Stores – multiple locations, drop off only